Published Jul 13, 2020We're officially getting a new Star Wars TV series over at Disney+. Today the steaming hub has confirmed it will be hitting us up with Star Wars: The Bad Batch — an animated spinoff of the popular Clone Wars series.
So far, details are slim, but Variety reports The Bad Batch will arrive sometime in 2021 courtesy of Lucasfilm. It's said to follow the group of elite and experimental clones — known as the Bad Batch — as they travel the galaxy during the aftermath of the Clone War.
The Clone Wars wrapped its seven-season run a few months ago, and the upcoming spinoff will feature series mastermind Dave Filoni as executive producer, Variety reports. He will be joined by Athena Portillo, Brad Rau and Jennifer Corbett, with Carrie Beck serving as co-executive producer and Josh Rimes as producer. Rau will be supervising director with Corbett, while Corbett will serve as the head writer.
"Giving new and existing fans the final chapter of Star Wars: The Clone Wars has been our honour at Disney+, and we are overjoyed by the global response to this landmark series," said Agnes Chu, senior vice-president of content at Disney+, in a statement. "While the Clone Wars may have come to its conclusion, our partnership with the groundbreaking storytellers and artists at Lucasfilm Animation is only beginning. We are thrilled to bring Dave Filoni's vision to life through the next adventures of the Bad Batch."
The Bad Batch adds to a bunch more Star Wars content over at Disney+, including the second season of The Mandalorian and the Obi-Wan Kenobi series with Ewan McGregor, among others.