Sam Smith Says They "Definitely" Contracted Coronavirus

The entire Smith family went under lockdown as a result
Sam Smith Says They 'Definitely' Contracted Coronavirus
Leading up to the delayed release of their new, yet-to-be renamed album, singer-songwriter Sam Smith has shared that they believe they contracted COVID-19.

Speaking with Zane Lowe for Apple Music, Smith detailed their experience allegedly contracting the virus, going under quarantine and eventually recovering.

"I didn't get tested but I know I had it. 100 percent had it. Everything I've read completely pointed to that. So yeah, I think I definitely had it," they told Lowe.

In addition to Smith's symptoms, they also revealed their sister, who lives with them, began experiencing similar symptoms five days later. That's when the Smith family went under quarantine to help stop the spread to other family members.

"It was clear. Because I've got an older nan and stuff, so we didn't want to risk anything," Smith said. "I got it about two weeks before the U.K. really hit. Well, I think I got it. I don't 100 percent know, but I got it and then as everyone was kind of really on lockdown, that's when I got over it, luckily,"

Smith was set to release their new album, previously titled To Die For, on May 1. Smith reneged those plans late last month as they felt "that the title of the album and imminent release doesn't feel right" amid the global pandemic. Without setting a firm release date, the artist promised that the album will be out this year, at least.